22.1.07

matchbooks, high-jinx, and scotchy blindspots. (or, a birthday tale for the ages.)

The Queen of Hyperbole dubs January 19, 2007 the best. birthday. ever.
I'm done now, I promise.

The birthday saga concluded splendidly Friday evening. Took off a little early from work... met my mom to make the Paige exchange, which was lovely, with the exception of getting lost in the suburbs. Well, at least it's proof I don't frequent them. Headed home and spent some quality time with iTunes makeing a birthday going-out mix and making copies of Bettie Serveert for a couple of friends.

Commence primping... black dress, black tights, tall black boots. I feel adorable in that babydoll dress.
Forget the camera.
Damn.

Head over to Jax Cafe for dinner, It's everything I want it to be, kitchy and supper-club-ish and swank in a way only Nordeast can pull off. They have even graced the tables with little matchbooks imprinted with "Happy Birthday Sarah" in gold. Awesome. Everyone gets there, on-time-ish. We eat pierogies (mmm) and artichoke dip (double-mmm). I get a fantastic steak (heavenly, and we all know how I feel about a good quality side of beef. Wait, I didn't mean for that to sound like a double-entedre... hee hee.)
I was treated to some amazing, heart-felt, we actually like and know Sarah, gifts. So awesome. Best of all, there was a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting from Woullet's at the end of the night. Scrumptious!
After dinner, we headed down toward the Otter for karoke.. a little more traumatuic, as people unfamiliar with the neighborhood god turned around (it's Northeast. I contend it's part of its charm, but I'm biased, having grown up there.) But we all arrived, and eventually procured a table from some lovely people who were leaving after they saw a party of 12 walk in. And I sang Criminal, and Jana sang, and Joel channelled Iggy Pop, and there was whiskey and scotch in abundance. Andrea came! And Laura showed up after the whiskey and I were doing our little thing. (whiskey and I have this very passionate, flirtaceous relationship in which whiskey talks his way into my sour and starts playing Al Green in my soul's living room and suddenly I am a sensual, intimate little imp, who sashays rather than walks, and holds nothing back as far as pride in the cleavage goes, and has a burning and genuine passion for everyone and simply cannot see faults.) I was twentysomething and in love with the people around me and otherwise completely blissed out. It's an amazing feeling to be celebrated by people who genuinely care about you.

Hurray, birthdays. And thank you to my friends for making it a night that still puts a smile on my face.

2 comments:

j said...

hurrah! i believe that post very accurately captures the mood and feeling of the evening. which was lovely. let's hear it for awesome birthdays!

Anonymous said...

It puts a smile on my face too. It was awesome! (Even if I kind of did get lost.)