5.1.07

long story, shortened baselines

So I started on my reading list for the year, beginning with Infinite Jest. The way I figure it, I'm writing my thesis this month, so when I need a break, I may as well keep my head way up there in intellectual-enrichment-space.

I am beginning to obsess about the writing of David Foster Wallace (mostly because it is beautiful, and as I writer, I simultaneously appreciate and envy his work.) I have been distracted for a better portion of this gray, unseasonably warm January afternoon by a lovely little article Wallace wrote about Wimbeldon this past year.

Three comments:
a) This man is a brilliant writer.
b) I love tennis, love writing, love psychology... Infinite Jest and I will get along mighty fine.
c) I am relatively enamored with the idea of endnotes in writing -- journalism or fiction. This could potentially stem from my myriad years in grad school, in which I have become so accustomed to reading academic journal which insist on endnotes, it is almost second nature. Or it could just be I'm a huge dork. I'd buy either theory.

The article is worth reading, if only for the quote:
For reasons that are not well understood, war’s codes are safer for most of us than love’s.

No comments: