28.12.06

Resolute

Let's be perfectly honest: I have been away from the office for a week now, and I am perfectly comfortable with a week's time off. I have seen the people I love the most. I have spent some serious quality time with my beautiful daughter. I have managed to craft and write and catch up on movies and make my house an utter pigsty through the sheer living-in-it.

This week between Christmas and New Years is always my favorite week to catch up, recharge, and evaluate life. 2006 has been particularly challenging for me, in all good ways... but a lot of growth happened this year, and if I do say so myself, phew! It's been a wild ride and I am thankful for this week's respite.

The break has also given me a chance to pause and set some goals for the upcoming year (the rest of the world calls these new year's resolutions, which are essentially what I am about to write, but I refuse to slap that label on here. Sorry, kids.) I won't predict what 2007 brings... life is too complex and lovely to make predictions. I will say, though, that I'll finish a thesis and a master's degree this year, and by May, I'll be looking to move into adult life without higher education. Much of my goal-setting for the year reflects the anticipated surplus of time and energy I will shortly be able to dedicate to other things I love. As my daughter learns and grows, I also anticipate the start of pre-school (read: real school) for her, and the advent of an increasingly animated, independent, expressive, extroverted little person. Mostly, I am anxiously anticipating a year of simplicity, of quiet life and little surprises, of growing in myself, in my friendships, in my family and my career and my spirit. Aside from finishing school, I just want to undertake the routine of a quiet, simple, contented existence in a city I adore with the rich blessings of friends and family around me.

Which brings me to a few of the "things I'll be doing in 2007" on the list.
  • As aforementioned, a completed thesis and master's degree. May 19th. Save the date, baby.
  • Reading for myself. Because I have been in graduate school for so long, I have neglected literature entirely. I have asked my literate friends (you know who you are) to recommend their favorites. I haven't gotten a duplicate yet. Sweet. I'm going to read 25 books I wouldn't normally choose this year.
  • Running. I started running (OK, fast-walking) in 2005, and continued this year for a good portion of the year. I do not proclaim myself to be a marathon runner -- in fact, I say HA! to that. What I would like to do is be able to run around any of our fine lakes in this city by Memorial Day. And I would like to complete a10K run by this fall.
  • Guitar lessons. For years, I have been promising myself I would learn to play guitar. My dad plays, he has a guitar he has promised Paige, but it has always been untouchable to me. I am buying myself a guitar for graduation, and promptly finding someone to give me lessons. It's like school, but without 150 dollar textbooks. Plus, chicks who play the guitar are hot.
  • Rollerskating. Paige received a pair of rollerskates for Christmas, and really doesn't take them off unless she's in the bathtub or bed. I adore rollergirls. I just learned my grandma Marian spent two years as a rollerskating messenger in downtown Minneapolis in the 40s. All signs point toward Sarah getting herself a pair of skates and figuring it out once and for all.
  • Photography. I love taking photos, and much of my collection centers around my daughter, which I wouldn't change. But so many times this year, there have been photo-worthy moments at random times in my city -- of the things that make this city so bloody beautiful -- and I didn't have the camera with, and wasn't conscious of how badly I burned to catalogue my city experience in pictures. I want to take at least 12 amazing photos that encapsulate Minneapolis this year... which means I need to get out there and take pictures at least once per month. I'm going to select the best 12 and treat myself to a Minneapolis mini-photography gallery in my living room at the end of the year.
  • Dancing. I have spent entirely too much of my life avoiding dancing, for absolutely no good reason. 2007 is the year my soul embraces dancing, and we'll just force my feet to follow. I think I'll start by getting back into swing dancing...

1 comment:

j said...

these are fabulous, and what new years goals should be: fun and life enriching. hurrah!