1.12.06

and in other news...


I'm totally jealous that chicago got a snowstorm before we did. Barbara and Nathan are so lucky. For heaven's sake, if it's going to be 4 degrees at night -- If I have to shower before bed just to get/stay warm... could we at least not have a foot of pretty white stuff on the ground?

At least I could put on a ski jacket, swaddle myself in a fluffy scarf and stocking cap, strap on some snowshoes and enjoy winter.

----------------------

Riddle me this: What do these cars have in common:
  • Honda Pilot
  • Dodge Grand Caravan
  • Chevrolet Trailblazer
  • Jeep Liberty
  • Land Rover
If your answer was, "cars that took 2 parking spots each in the 'compact only' row at work today so those of us who drive normal-ish size cars had to walk from another ZIP code", you win.
For real -- if you want to drive an SUV, go for it. Hope you enjoy your gas-guzzling, suburban soul-sucking metal death trap. However... do not be a jerk and take the spots MARKED for compact cars. Your Land Rover is not compact. By anyone's standards. Anyone. And closed loop to the soccer mom driving the minivan: yah, you sold out too. Nice try, scooter... but your 8-seater minivan is compact like my 5-shot grande latte is decaf.

--------------------

The tree is up at the clan Green fortress. Christy and I had a blast last night (as usual, when don't we have a great time?)
After some bonding time with a loaded baked potato pizza from Luce, we tapped into our inner lumberjacks and (after much elbow grease and a short adventure to my parents place in Lakeville) trimmed the bottom. Hilarity ensued as we tried to get the tree back in the stand (consider two women, tired after a long week, full and giggly and dozy, trying to erect a pine tree in my dining room while debating the militant vegetarian/vegan...). We trimmed her out this year in a batch of great, 1950s retro-kitch decorations. You can't see 'em in the photo, but they are so indie, retro... so me. I love my little tree.

--------------------
soundtrack in my head right now:
Bus to Beelzebub - Soul Coughing
Chicago Seemed Tired Last Night - The Hold Steady
Santa Baby - Eartha Kitt
Limp - Fiona Apple

2 comments:

Diana said...

I kinda wanted to start drinking at work, but didn't, but the blurry photo make me think I had. Yay!

j said...

i like the soundtrack in your head right now.

i slept through the alarm this morning, rolling over to look at the clock a full half hour after i should have already been at work. this has nothing to do with your tree-trimming post; merely a fun fact for a long friday.