15.5.07

growin' up: its not just for toddlers anymore.

April_May_2007 060

The more one worries, the older one gets;
the more one laughs, the younger one feels.
(chinese proverb)


4 years ago today, a spunky, sassy, infectiously extroverted little girl graced my life for the first time. I have watched her grow from a tiny newborn, to a determined (read: stubborn) infant. I was there to help her learn how to eat, how to walk, how to turn the pages of books through toddlerhood. In the life of a preschooler, I've watched a tiny baby develop into a completely dynamic, sensitive, others-centered little girl with an amazing command of her native tongue, exquisite taste in music, and a heart so big it makes mine want to burst.

Through it all, we've taught one another how to be patient. How to be gentle. How to not settle. How to demand the life we so richly deserve.

Happy fourth birthday to my beautiful little girl. I hope one day, she'll understand how often I just sit here in awe of how perfectly Paige she's always been.

3 comments:

The Process said...

got some watery eyes on this one as i hold my 3.5 month old as she falls asleep. what a gift to grow a person and to have her grow you too!

j said...

i wish a very happy birthday to paige as well, for teaching me (slowly, day by day) how NOT to fear children. both you and she are pretty lucky.

therapydoc said...

that's one lucky kid