14.3.07

Advice my preschooler won't need for a few years, but I'm posting anyway.

There has been much talk in the woman-circles I frequent, of late, about life partners. And what makes an ideal significant other. And what we really ought to expect out of our relationships.

And I've come to realize in the last few months, as much as love is wonderful, and important... it isn't what makes someone an ideal match for you. In fact, if I could tell any woman anything about finding someone to be happy with, it's this:

Do not waste your time with a significant other you wouldn't be able to paint a room with.
Live on a liferaft with.
Plant a garden with.
Make thanksgiving dinner with.
Build a house with.
Cry and laugh and plan and be irresponsible, all in the same day, with.
Parent a child with.
Unplug a toilet at 3 AM with.
Get lost in a strange city with.
Watch your grandmother die with.

Having a partner who is really a partner -- who just works for you, just works with you, like a machine, like they get it, like , more often than not, they live in your brain and were wired to understand the world the way you understand the world -- that's something awesome. It's somethign to look for, something to be excited about, something to expect, to require for yourself. Be selfish in this one thing. There's nothing more amazing than a good partner.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have read your blog for a while now... and this is SO true. It hit the spot. I am not a selfish person by nature, but thank you for validating me not setteling. As a women, I needed someone else to say that. I think that Paige is lucky to have you as a mom!