12.10.06

United, Villa, Southhampton... are the Hammers next?

BBC reports an Icelandic interest in bidding on West Ham.
(oh yah, there's some Iranian interest as well...)

Well, I mean... it isn't Malcom Glazer, but huh. Obviously, there's big money to be made in professional sports... not only here in the states, but abroad. Probably moreso in football than in most other professional sporting arenas... the whole damn world watches it.
I'm torn, though. Because I get it: it's a business. But like Glazer's United purchase, I just wonder how (if at all) the foreign influence bastardizes a club with a rich history. Eh, maybe the Icelanders aren't so bad. Or are they? I mean, EPL is watched internationally, to be sure. Is it a good thing or a bad thing that international stakeholders are running these clubs?

I don't know... my jury's still out.

No comments: