18.10.06

the entirely random soundtrack game

1. Open your library
2. Put it on shuffle
3. Press play
4. For every question, type the song that's playing
5. When you go to a new question, press the next button
6. Don't lie and try to pretend you're cool...

(this daily distraction courtesy of my Brighid, the lovely 80GB musicalia sidekick.)


Opening Credits: Sweet Cloud by the Kills (No Wow)

I know no words to fix my killing but I’ll do anything to bring my brother alive
Great, my life is a Quentin Tarantino film. Well, at least it’ll be regarded as artsy.

Waking Up: Bus to Beelzebub by Soul Coughing (Ruby Vroom)

Get on to the bus, that will take you back to Beelzebub...It’s a grind, grind, it’s a grind, it’s a grind, grind…
The beauty part of this is that is has some hellishly circus-type music in the background, which is essentially every morning for me. So, fair enough.

First Day At School: 9th St. by the Soviettes (The Soviettes LP)

... but now I know that I am from a place I hope will never change, 9th St., please stay the same…
Well. Uh, let’s just ignore the drinking references in this song, because it’s otherwise accurate, growing up and attending school right here in this fair city.

Falling In Love: Poses by Rufus Wainwright

All these poses, these beautiful poses, makes any boy feel like picking up roses… life is a game and true love is a trophy.
See? It is my life. Fall in love because it’s like winning a game of Scrabble.

Fight Song: E-Bow The Letter by R.E.M (New Adventures in Hi-Fi)

Will you live til 83? Will you ever welcome me? Will you show me something that nobody else will see?
Uh, OK. I guess I can see it. Sorta. But I have way better fight songs in mind. But aluminum does taste like fear. And I do fear fighting.

Breaking Up: My House by Swayzak (Loops for the Bergerie)

The past is buried under years of strain
And after this, I’ll never talk about it again
I took the view that I would never find what I need
I didn’t think that I would have the courage to leave
I was so young I didn’t know my own mind
It goes on, but do we need to re-hash it? Total breakup song.

Prom: I Want to Sing That Rock and Roll by Gillian Welch (Time (the Revelator))

I want to reach that glory land, I want to shake my savior’s hand. I want to sing that rock and roll, I want electrify my soul, cause everybody been making a shout so big and loud they’ve been drowning me out… I want to sing that rock and roll
Unconventional when you think about prom. But really, let’s consider where I went to school (butt-f*ck Egypt) and the considerable lack of rock and roll I had in my formative years – and how very badly I longed to be back in a city that had rock and roll. So, we can make it work, I think.

Life is Good: I’ve Got Two Legs by Monty Python (Monty Python Sings)

I’ve got two legs from my hips to the ground, and when I move them they walk me around, and when I lift them they climb the stairs, and, when I shave ‘em they ain’t got hairs…
Apparently it’s the simple things in life for me. Like shaved legs.

Mental Breakdown: We Will Become Silhouettes by the Postal Service (Give Up)

I’ve got a cupboard with cans of food, filtered water and pictures of you, and I’m not coming out til this all over…

Awesome. I’m going to become an agoraphobe.

Driving: Stop Don’t Panic by Jamiroquoi (A Funk Odessey)

Stop. Don’t Panic. It’s just a thing I do. It’s not. So tragic. Nothing to hang on to…
Well, anyone who’s been in a care with me knows that. Insanity, and totally appropriate.

Flashback: The Christmas Song by Mel Torme (Traditional Christmas)

Chestnuts roasting on an open fire…
Well, huh. I wonder what my flashback’s about.

Getting Back Together: Holdin’ On Together by Phoenix (Alphabetical)

Holdin’ on Together, I try to set the night on fire
Holdin’ on Together, I try to set the night on fire
Holdin’ on Together, I try to set the night on fire
Holdin’ on Together, I try to set the night on fire

Predictable. Make up sex.

Wedding: Vampire/Forest Fire by Arcade Fire (Arcade Fire EP)

I can’t even document the lyrics to this. It’s odd because while Arcade Fire isn’t “romantic” in the way you’d think wedding music should be romantic, I think they are sensual and beautiful and rich and complex and bittersweet yet peaceful and worthwhile, like I’ve always envisioned real, grown-up love to be. So, yah. Yah! I dig it.

Paying the Dues: A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall [Live] by Bob Dylan (No Direction Home)

…I’ve been 10,000 miles in the mouth of a graveyard, and it’s hard, and its’ a hard, and it’s a hard, and it’s a hard, and it’s a hard, and it’s a hard, and it’s a haard raaaain’s a-gonna fall.

Come on. Nothing says working man’s blues better than Dylan.

The Night Before The War: Thrills by LCD Soundsystem (LCD Soundsystem)

I still got thrills.

Appropriately enough, it has screaming and a sort-of tribal drumbeat. A little tiny part of me wants to wear a kilt and scream, “Go back to England. Tell them Scotland is Free!”

Final Battle: Fluke by Mates of State (Team Boo)

We lie in so many words
I said I’d take you down to the water’s edge and watch you drown
We lie in so many words

OK. So I am going to drown my victims. Awesome…

Moment of Triumph: Vision of Division by the Strokes (First Impressions of Earth)

All that I do, is wait for you. All that I do, is wait for you.
I can’t get along with all your friends. Don’t know how to act, that’s all there is. Why do I accept the things you say? You know what to change, but not in what way?
How long must I wait, How long must I wait, How long must I wait..

Wait. That’s not so victorious. Though the guitar riffs are sparkly and angry. So maybe it’s a bittersweet triumph or something. I mean, let’s look at the opening credits. It’s getting Tarantino-esque, after all.

Death Scene: The Christians and The Pagans by Dar Williams (Mortal City)

So the Christians and the Pagans sat together at the table
finding faith and common ground the best that they were able

How can this possibly be my death song? It’s about diverse populations getting together and loving each other because they are people. Maybe I die peacefully? Let’s hope. Bizarre.

Funeral Song: Speak to me/Breathe by Pink Floyd (Dark Side of the Moon)

Bah. Well, it’s Floyd.

End Credits: Biological by Air (Talkie Walkie)

Ethereal. And actually, perfect end credits song. Huh.

No comments: