19.1.06

no better birthday present

some may know this, and some may not -- but I have spent the better part of the last 6 months embroiled in a world of discovery about my own body. With the diagnosis of a metabolic disorder that links to very nearly every other health problem I have encountered, I have been piecing together how this body I live in works, what makes it tick, what it likes, doesn't like, etc. It's been an amazing journey; I was just thinking last night how bizarre it is to be 27 years old and just now discovering the physical place where my mind and soul reside.

Part of this discovery have been about discovering health: eating the right kinds of foods, making peace with my body shape, discovering the joy in exercise, finding who I am as a healthy person (now that my blood sugar and metabolism have been brought within normal levels of human functioning, this is a much easier journey...)

The birthday present on my scale this morning was the best I could ever ask for. It was a weight I hadn't seen since my freshman year in college. I put on pants today that I haven't been able to wear since I was 18 years old -- 9 years ago.

I'm not there yet... I have 39 more pounds to go. But leaving 48 pounds in my 26th year, and looking forward to a future that is at peace with a healthy, regulated, cared-for body... there is no better birthday present.

No comments: