7.11.06

vote early, vote often.

As many (fingers crossed, all of my readers) of you have or will do today, I took to my local polling place this morning, Dunn Brothers in hand, to a) register (this happens when you move) and b) vote my conscious. (I'll save the rant about "the vote for an independent is a wasted vote" argument for a later date.)

I was really priviledged to have Paige along with me when I voted today. Not only is she becoming such a young lady -- a little tiny citizen of the world -- it was just bloody cool to be able to have her participate in something so very American.

Is our policital system broken and ugly and wholly imperfect? You bet. Am I positive about the state of my country? Not particularily, no.

But as Paige helped me color in my circles this morning, as she fed the ballot into the counting machine, (Mama! Look! That machine ate our picture!) I was distinctly reminded that no matter my personal political (or lack of political) vantage point, I have the honor and responsibility of demonstrating to the next generation the importance of voting your conscious and making your voice heard. I told Paige today:

Momma: Paige, it is important that you always speak your mind. Even if you are speaking amongst thousands of other people, you need to speak up for the things you believe in. OK?
Paige: OK momma.

(pause)

Paige: Momma?
Momma: Yes, Paige?
Paige: (giggles) I just farted.


Well, she isn't ready to join the Kids for Nader movement just yet... but we're working on it.

No comments: