30.11.06

victim of your parent's basement?

annoyed.
Allow me to explain:

We all learn how to handle money in our 20s, right? We all pay the price of that initial credit card you really didn't understand, but thoroughly enjoyed using, in college?
Yes. We all (to one degree or another) get ourselves into the proverbial financial rock and hard place in our early 20s. I guess I consider it one of the rites of passage. And we all wiggled our way out, in some form. It is a good learning, a good growing experience for us. It builds character and teaches us how to be "grown ups" with our paychecks.
However... I have to agree with most of what this article says.

a) for real? racking up 100K in undergraduate debt is insanity. Kids (and parents, if they are ponying up for a portion) have the personal responsibility to select whatever school they can afford. This is yet another example of, I'll just delay paying for something I really cannot afford... which is perhaps a worse American epidemic than obesity.
b) student loans aside... take some individual accountability. Credit cards aren't evil; they just are. Know what you are signing your name to. Educate yourself. If you rack up 3K on a stereo, new skiis and spring break... well, you signed each and every credit slip. This employs rules #2 and #3 ... the best way out is through, and take personal responsibility for your life. If you have made a mistake (my God, we're all human, we all do it)... own up to it. Get a second job; cut your living expenses; whatever.
c) I love the line quoted in this article about living in your parent's house not being "sexy". Well, Scooter... perhaps you should worry about your credit score more than you worry about getting laid. I don't know; just me, but when you do finally get a girlfriend, and you want to get married and buy a house, I'm guessing she isn't going to find a man who cannot balance his checkbook and refuses to stop living beyond his means real sexy, either. Unless, of course, you both racked up hundreds of thousands of debt going to schools you couldn't afford to drink beer and sleep through your first class (come on, we all did it.) In which case, enjoy the American dream of constantly paying bills which will never disappear.
d) At some point, as a parent, I believe the grown ups have the responsibility to teach our kids about finances. Show them how to balance their bank account. Teach them (demonstrate to them) how to practice moderation. Give 'em a practice credit card. Whatever it takes. Do this before they go to college; because as we know, college is that magical place with all the privileges and none of the responsibilities of adulthood. When it makes sense, I'm going to candidly talk with Paige about this stuff. Explain the financial mistakes I have made (we've all made a few). Show her how I learned to do it right. And if she moves back into the basement at 23, well... I guess it's time for the refresher course.

2 comments:

j said...

a timely post, after tuesday trivia degenerated into discussions of loans and budgets. w

Sarah said...

indeed -- that is actually what got me started thinking about all of this. :)