16.5.06

Gomez | How We Operate | another inherently biased CD review

As previously mentioned, I am in love with Gomez. So this is inherently biased (as is basically any opinion)... but it's my opinion, and it's my blog, and that's the way it's going to be.

Overall: I think this is Gomez's best release to date. Hands down, no arguments. It's a well-assembled showcase of the myriad talent in this band. Well done, boys... well done.

(special thanks to Sweet Dave for being my constant source of oustanding music. It's good to have smart friends...)

Track 1: Notice
So this is a bit of a departure from the driving openings I'm used to on their records, but it's musically solid and catchy in its own way. I cannot get over how this band has managed to develop themselves from solid into absolutely sublime vocalists. And not just one of them -- the whole lot.

Track 2: See The World
Let's make this simple: I love this song. It's something I can sing to my daughter.

Track 3: How We Operate
Brutal honesty moment of the day: there isn't a track on this disc that didn't get 5 stars in my iPod. The title track to the release is no exception -- it has an almost Verve-like orchestral quality to it.

Track 4: Hamoa Beach
This is potentially the most harmonious song on the disc. There are few artists with whom I can sing along, feel passionate about the lyrics, and feel like a rockstar (even if it is in the shower). But this is one of THOSE cds.

Track 5: Girlshapedlovedrug
Oh, yah. This song is like Monkees, meet meaningful lyrics and outstanding musicianship. Favorite song on the disc, hands down. (could it also be the driving guiatar in the song... you know my thing for driving guitar).

Track 6: Chasing Ghosts With Alcohol
Story of my life. Love a song I can relate to.

Track 7: Tear Your Love Apart
Classic Gomez sound (though - is there such a thing, really?) Another driving guitar, strong drumline, and incredible vocals. What more can we ask for, really?

Track 8: Charlie Patton Songs
This is probably my favorite "slow" song on the disc. Again, there's this magical combination of lyricism, melody, an unreal vocal harmonization, and something about really good music -- that quality that says things I could never say or write by just using words (its this very same thing that makes me love Oasis). Delish.

Track 9: Woman! Man!
Doesn't this sum it all up: For hope will spring eternal, when life's got you on your news, oh... sha la la la woman! sha la la la man!

Track 10: All Too Much
This track is a another "classic" Gomez. Which is not at ALL a bad thing.

Track 11: Cry On Demand
Hey look! Another song I can totally relate to! No wonder I like this band so much.

Track 12: Don't Make Me Laugh
I am completely enamoured with this farewell song. It's slow, melodic, and tongue-in-cheek. Goodness all around.

No comments: