24.6.06

hope for future generations

True confession:

one of the things that sort of made me grimace about bringing a new, tiny person into my life was the fear that I would have to turn off decent music for at least 18 years -- that I would be forced to listen to cassettes of Barney and Disney on every long car ride, until I realy *d0* want to stick my head in an oven.

Literally... because when I was a kid (and let's be honest -- I'm not yet 30, so "kiddom" wasn't that long ago), kid's music sucked. Really, really sucked. And my parents checked out of the music scene when they had to be the "responsible" adult who raised me right and proper (and come on, I like Van Halen now... Dad could have listened to it in the car when I was 5 with no negative side affects... sheesh.) Point being, when it came time for me to find my musical identity... I went through a really ugly, almost unmentionable metamorphasis (it started with Mariah Carey, Michael Bolton and Boyz 2 Men... and it completely pains me to write that.)

Anyway... I have, as of late, found myself with significantly more hope for the generation I am doing my part to rear.
1) I have decided that it's real dumb to stop listening to my music when it's something I love... I'm just not going to hide part of the Essential Sarah from my kid. That's silly.

So, Paige listens to, and (miracle of miracles!) likes rock and roll.

2) Not all kid's music completely sucks these days. We regularly jam to They Might Be Giants together... and let's be real, I jammed to They Might Be Giants way... way back in the day ( I still have my original copy of Flood). And there seems to be an upswing of not-too-shabby kiddie rock .... Kindie Rock, as Salon calls it.

Cool. I'll continue to maintain that we'll be sending Paige to rock and roll camp sooner than later...

No comments: